Families & Schools offers family engagement programs that empower parents, increase family cohesion, help students academically and socially, and benefit the community as a result of the positive relationships that are formed in and between families, the school, and in the community. Families & Schools uses evidence based interventions proven to strengthen family bonds and build community amongst the families and the schools. Trained team leaders along with their teams help to facilitate these relationships. Currently Families & Schools has programs in 5 schools and communities in Columbus and Phenix City.
It takes a village to raise a child, Families and Schools helps to create that village for many families.
Goals of our programs:
- Increase Parental involvement in education and prevent school failure
- Enhance family functioning
- Reduce the stress in the daily lives of parents and children
- Foster and enhance relationships between families, schools, and the Community
Since its inception in Columbus in 2007 with FAST, Families and Schools has demonstrated outstanding success. Evaluations have consistently shown statistically significant improvements. In 2017 at one site we saw:
- 50% decrease in peer problems
- 70% increase in parental involvement with the school
- 61% decrease in family conflict
- 100% increase in social support