FAST is a family engagement program that empowers parents, increases family cohesion, helps students academically and socially, and benefits the community as a result of the positive relationships that are formed in and between families, the school, and in the community. FAST uses 12 evidence based interventions proven to strengthen family bonds and build community amongst the families and schools. Trained coordinators, recreation, school, community, and parent partners facilitate these relationships.
Currently FAST runs in 3 elementary schools in Columbus and one Community hub in Phenix City, however, there are also middle school and high school programs available as well.
It takes a village to raise a child, FAST helps to create that village for many families.
Goals of FAST™:
- Increase Parental involvement in education and prevent school failure
- Enhance family functioning
- Prevent substance abuse by the child and family
- Reduce the stress in the daily lives of parents and children
- Foster and enhance relationships between families, schools, and the Community
Since its inception in Columbus in 2007, FAST has demonstrated outstanding success. External, independent evaluations have consistently shown statistically significant improvements. In 2017 at one site we saw:
- 50% decrease in peer problems
- 70% increase in parental involvement with the school
- 61% decrease in family conflict
- 100% increase in social support